2023 Selection Criteria, Process & Timeline
The Eleanor Roosevelt Chapter honors individuals who have made significant and longtime contributions of service to Kappa Delta Pi (KDP) and demonstrated a commitment to its ideals and excellence in teaching.
The chapter was named for KDP Laureate, Eleanor Roosevelt because of her belief in human rights, her energy and compassion in serving people, her involvement in community service, and her commitment to educating youth.
The Eleanor Roosevelt Chapter is comprised of a maximum of 100 living members. Membership is inclusive of all qualifying members, regardless of education position. Membership in the chapter is a lifetime appointment. Membership is by nomination—recognizing KDP members with an extensive history of involvement and commitment to KDP. Nominees do not need to be currently employed in an education position.
Requirements for ERC Membership
- Nominees do not need to be currently employed in an education position.
- Prospective members cannot self-nominate.
- Past and current employees of KDP’s national office are not eligible for nomination as this honor is bestowed upon KDP’s most significant volunteer leaders in education.
- Past and current Board members and officers are eligible for nomination. Current Board members must recuse themselves from voting on ERC members, if they are a nominee being considered.
- Minimum of 20 years of active membership in KDP.
A candidate must have evidence of satisfying at least 7 of the following Primary and Secondary Criteria—with a minimum of 5 criteria within Primary.
Primary Criteria (candidate must meet at least 5 in primary)
- Significant number of years of service to a KDP chapter.
- Service to a KDP chapter as an officer or Counselor.
- National service to KDP (e.g., service as a committee member or Chair, scholarship reviewer, presenter for KDP, Board of Director service, hosting a regional conference, or being a KDP United Nations Rep., etc.).
- Attended a minimum of 3 KDP Convocations and participated as a Convo volunteer or presenter.
- Donor for 3 or more years to KDP Founders Day campaign, scholarships, an unrestricted fund, or to a special donor restricted fund.
- Served as a reviewer of manuscripts, scholarships, or classroom grants.
- Published an article/book with KDP or served as a volunteer editor.
- Awards or recognition for teaching and/or Chapter excellence from KDP.
- A prominent leadership role within the education community.
- Participated in Literacy Alive!; Reading is Fun; or Celebration of Teaching service programs.
- Established a KDP scholarship at the local level.
- Established a KDP Planned Gift.
- Helped to train KDP Counselors regionally, in workshops, at Convo, etc.
- Published a scholarly journal article or book in education.
- Awards or recognition for teaching excellence outside of KDP.
- Recognized for other significant contributions in education.
Nominations are due Friday, May 12 at 6:00 p.m. ET.
Submit a Nomination